Monday, March 21, 2011

Romancing the Cards

Victorian romance, though vintage, isn't something I've made a lot of.  As a matter of fact, I don't think I've made any Victorian anything.  But, the challenge for our shoebox swap was to create a card using the oldest stamp set we had and if we couldn't or wouldn' use it, we were challenged to sell it.  So, I perused the stamp shelves in my craft room and the oldest stamp set I had that I had never used was Toile Blossoms (retired SU).  I could hardly believe it!  I so love vintage stuff and could not believe that I hadn't used it but I hadn't.  I realized after much thought, that I hadn't used it because it's a Definately Decorative set, meaning it was created to be used for decorating walls and things in your home.  It's a great and beautiful set, but there just wasn't anything that came to mind in using it for me.  Anyway, when I decided to use it as a background stamp, I remembered that I had a sweet little girl stamp that also had a Victorian feel that I hadn't used so I decided to use them together to create this card below.

I also used French Script on this card and I've had it forever too.  I probably won't ever part with it because it makes a great background image.  Also on this card is some yummy velvet ribbon and some swirly organdy ribbon both in burgundy.  The card base is actually called Lavendar Moon by Papertrey Ink.  I thought it looked like a light wine color and went well with burgundy accents.  The little girl and french script are stamped in olive ink.  I used prima flowers and some pink colored pearl brads on the flowers.  I "aged" the card by distressing the edges of the focal images as well as sponging and curling up some edges.  Here's a close up of the flowers.

I used a bird punch I have from SU that has a leaf cutout in it as well.  Below is a close up of a silver charm that says "Cherish" that I put on the organdy ribbon.  The card is a little smaller than 5 1/2" square to fit in some square envelopes I have.



I hope you enjoyed my project today; I've been waiting anxiously to share it with you.  Later this week I hope to share with you some fun new projects using NEW RELEASES from My Favorite Things so be sure to visit and check them out.

God bless and Happy Stamping!

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment